Open position: R&D engineer on software infrastructures for geo-distributed large-scale storage systems
Starting date: As soon as possible
Contract duration: 12 months
Salary: monthly gross salary between 2399.48 and 2586.30 € (depending on previous work experience)
Desired level of education:
Experience required: indifferent
- Pr. Vivien Quéma (vivien.quema AT imag DOT fr)
- Dr. Renaud Lachaize (renaud.lachaize AT imag DOT fr)
This job offer corresponds to a R&D engineer position in the context of the "RainbowFS" collaborative research project, which gathers several academic research laboratories and one industrial partner.
The overall goal of the RainbowFS project is to study (i) new techniques for the design of geo-distributed, large-scale, storage systems that are safe, efficient and highly available, as well as (ii) the design of applications based on such storage systems.
The recruited engineer will be involved in the development and usage of tools allowing to evaluate/measure the correct operation, the availability and the achieved performance of the distributed storage system.
The main goals of these tools will be to:
- handle the deployment and monitoring of the (client-side and server-side) software components on multiple heterogeneous cloud platforms
- help pinpointing and understanding performance problems in the system.
The main activities associated with this position include:
- The design and implementation of research prototypes (for the above-mentioned tools) and the writing of the corresponding documentation.
- The design and conduct of experimental campaigns to test and evaluate the behavior of the storage system.
- The writing of technical and research reports about the outcomes of the work.
- Collaborative work with researchers, Ph.D. students and interns.
- The position is open (but not limited) to recently graduated students, with no previous experience.
- The recruited engineer will be able to develop her/his conceptual and practical skills in the following domains: cloud computing, distributed systems, DevOps, tools for deploying/monitoring/optimizing distributed systems.
- The recruited engineer will have the opportunity to design and run very large scale experiments (i.e., involving several geographical sites worldwide and up to several hundreds of machines) on private/public/hybrid cloud platforms.
- Through this position, the recruited engineer will have the possibility to become more familiar with collaborative research between academia and industry.
Interested candidates are expected to:
- have good skills in the following domains: operating systems, computer networks, distributed systems
- have a good command of (spoken and written) English
- have strong communication and teamwork skills
- be interested in working along with researchers (academic researchers and industrial R&D engineers)
Besides, a good knowledge of one or several of the domains listed below would be a plus:
- Cloud computing
- Distributed storage systems
- Virtualization technologies (virtual machines and/or containers)
- Deployment and monitoring tools for distributed systems
- Testing tools for distributed systems
- Techniques for performance evaluation and optimization of distributed systems
This position is to be held at the LIG Laboratory (Grenoble Laboratory for Research in Computer Science - http://www.liglab.fr) in Grenoble, France, within the ERODS research group.
The laboratory is located in a recent building, on the campus of Saint Martin d'Heres, very close to Grenoble.
The recruited engineer will also have frequent interactions with the other (academic and industrial) partners of the above-mentioned "RainbowFS" research project.